Saturday, November 23, 2013

What Grain Is Doing to Your Brain

Have you seen this article? 


I agree with this statement:

<< How We Got Here

Perlmutter's book is propelled by a growing body of research indicating that Alzheimer's disease may really be a third type of diabetes, a discovery that highlights the close relationship between lifestyle and dementia. It also reveals a potential opening to successfully warding off debilitating brain disease through dietary changes
.>> 

I would just be making different dietary changes than he suggests. I believe in BALANCE. I personally would not recommend 75% of diet to be healthy fats and only 5% carbs! I don't think that is healthy and I understand people who try those zero carb diets to have trouble thinking or concentrating, so how is that helping their brain? 

I like Shaklee's suggestion of 30/40/30 (protein/carbs/fats) for weight and inch loss, or 20/50/30 for normal healthy living. Either way, healthy fats are 30% of the diet. Carbs do not have to include much, or any grain, if we don't want them. There are plenty of fruits and vegetables, and they are carbs! I believe in balance, and therefore, I will not be cutting grains out for now! I'll just keep taking my Vitalizer, Vivix, B-complex (see: Should you be taking vitamin B to protect against Alzheimer's?), Shaklee 180 Smoothees, etc. for my brain health. The more Smoothees I drink and Meal Bars I eat, the less grains I eat, naturally! After all, you can only eat so much in a day :) 

I understand those who need a gluten free diet will be eating less grains - not all grains have gluten though. 

Your thoughts? 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment