Thursday, September 17, 2009

Dr. Oz's 5 Suggestions to Prevention

Dr. Oz and his team of experts suggest these tips to help to protect your health. I am sharing some of his ideas from the show on 9/15/09 plus my own suggestions. 

1.) Wash your hands The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) say that hand washing is the number one way you can protect yourself. Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly with soap and water. Aim for a minimum of 20 seconds. Whistle while you wash: you should be cleaning your hands for the approximate length of time it takes to complete a verse of “Happy Birthday.” An alcohol-based hand sanitizer can be used if a sink isn't nearby. And, I recommend these natural household cleaners.

2.) Eat probiotics! Probiotics
are the good live bacteria found in fermented food products such as yogurt and soy products like miso and tempeh Eating these foods not only promotes the natural balance of healthy bacteria important for digestive health, it can stimulate the production of immune fighting chemicals from cells found in the gut. Dr. Oz said to take both pro and pre-biotics and when taken in supplement form, it is probably a better way of getting to your gut in live form. Opti-flora stays LIVE until it gets in your gut while 90% of most probiotics are killed by the stomach acid before they reach the gut! 


3.) Take Vitamin D Vitamin D is produced in the body during exposure to sunlight. During the winter we tend to get less exposure so vitamin D supplements are recommended. People who take vitamin D supplements have better luck staying healthy. I personally recommend and use the Rx For a Healthier Life to make sure I get my vitamin D3! 

If myself or anyone in my family starts to get sick (which is very rare) I minimally, always keep these things on hand to either stop the sickness process or to help us get through it faster and easier: my favorite electrolyte drink, Defend & Resist, Nutriferon and Opti-flora. And of course, a supply of energy tea and quick, healthy energy foods so that I don't have to cook when recovering! And the tea is wonderful anytime, gives me just the right amount of energy needed for anything!

2 comments:

  1. My husband and daughter are both Celiacs and having a difficult time ridding their diet of gluten. My husband is doctoring with Dr. Peter Greene in NY. Could you please dedicate a show to this subject and also what and where to find more gluten free foods and gluten free restaurants. We look forward to the possibility of viewing this subject on your show. We really enjoy your show---it is truely enjoyable as well as informative. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi and thanks for commenting on my Blog. Unfortunately, this is not Dr. Oz's blog so I cannot help you with that. I can, however, direct you to some excellent gluten free health products: http://bit.ly/aFEabH

    I wish you the best!

    ReplyDelete